Here at SuperFunkyPenguin Photography we take our environmental and social responsibilities seriously. We aspire to leave the world a better place that we found it.
Our key areas of focus are:
– Minimising waste and eradicating single-use plastic
– Reducing our carbon footprint
– Supporting local businesses
– Giving back to our community
What are we doing already?
- Buying stationary and other office supplies from a small, family-run local retailer
- Working with UK-based suppliers for prints, framing, business cards and flyers
- Working with European-based supplier for our photo albums (currently our nearest supplier of superior quality albums)
- Ensuring durability and longevity of prints and albums to reduce the need for reprints
- Use of recyclable packaging for delivery of goods to clients (plastic is only used if it’s been provided by the supplier and is required to protect the goods)
- Small print runs of business cards and flyers to reduce waste
- Employing other small UK businesses and sole traders
- Charging equipment batteries only when required (not leaving them permanently on charge)
- Using rechargeable batteries rather than disposable for flash and other portable lighting equipment
- Repurposing used paper and packaging for crafting with my children
- Supporting local causes each year, with a percentage of work donated for free
What we are aspiring to change in the next 3 - 6 months:
- Adopt online invoicing and contract signing to reduce paper usage
- Discuss packaging options with suppliers to encourage them to minimise the use of plastic and find more environmentally friendly alternatives
- Providing sponsorship for selected local events
- Conduct follow-up client meetings via video-conference where appropriate
Our longer-terms goals:
- Provide a percentage of profits to supporting UK green charities
- Hybrid or Electric car for business and personal use
- Establish a mini apprenticeship scheme, and provide work experience opportunities and mentorship.
Although we’re a small business we can all do our part, and all make a difference. We hope that other small businesses will join us in the move towards sustainability. The responsibility lies with us all.